Red Velvet Pancakes
- RED VELVET PANCAKES
- 2 cups red velvet cake mix
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- Nonstick spray, for cooking
- CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 6 tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Make the pancakes: In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix with the butter, egg and milk to combine. Work out any lumps with the whisk to make sure the batter is smooth.
- 2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, spritz it with nonstick spray and reduce the heat to low (to prevent the pancakes from becoming too dark).
- 3. Working in batches, ladle the batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles begin to rise from the center of the pancakes, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the pancakes and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove the pancakes to a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.
- 4. Make the icing: Using a whisk or hand mixer, combine the cream cheese with the sugar, cream and vanilla.
- 5. To serve, pile the pancakes onto plates and top generously with icing.