This recipe falls into our that’s weird series. As you know, these recipes aren’t really that weird or crazy – they’re just about trying out different flavor combos and new recipes!One of the great things about summer is that we have more time in the day (literally, the sun is up longer!) to enjoy farmers’ markets and to roll up our creative sleeves in the kitchen. Recently, we took home some beautiful edible flowers from the market, adding them to everything from salads, to tacos, to these delicious pancakes!
This week we got some Pansies, Aster and Nasturtiums which all added such an intesnse color element to this dish. To bring it to the next level, we decided to add some red currants to the pancakes, since they’re at their peak sweetness now.
Now, for that yellow stuff you see on the pancakes? That’s the turmeric skyr. Skyr is an Islandic yogurt that’s super thick due to the straining process. If you don’t have this on hand, feel free to sub in greek yogurt or a low-fat plain yogurt. As for the turmeric – we know, you’re asking yourself why you’d add this spice that’s often found in indian curries, dhals and other savory dishes. But, with all of it’s anti-inflammatory benefits, and mild flavor, it’s the perfect addition to sweet dishes for its added color. We stirred in some honey to balance out the acidity of the yogurt and to add a touch of sweetness.
Fluffy pancakes with turmeric & honey skyr and edible flowers
ingredients for pancakes
3 large eggs
1 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 pinch salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
ingredients for turmeric & honey skyr
1 tbsp tumeric
4 tbsp skyr yogurt (or normal yogurt)
1 tbsp honey
Some additional toppings
Note: Don’t underestimate the power of separating a yolk from the whites. Egg whites, all whipped up and a little stiff and then folded into the whipped yolks are the best way to get smooth fluffy pancakes.
- Separate your egg white and yolk
- Mix the yolks with the milk, flour, sugar and baking powder until thoroughly mixed
- In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites with your salt until fluffy and slightly stiff
- Add this mixture to the batter and fold in
- Add the butter to a pan on medium heat
- Ladel in some batter, flip once one side is slightly golden
- Remove from pan once the other side is slightly golden
- Stack ’em
- In a bowl, mix your turmeric, honey and skyr
- Spoon on top of your stack and decorate with berries, flowers and icing sugar