For us, the weekend is all about indulging in a long and lazy breakfast – preferably with friends or family. Cereal or plain ‘ol fried eggs just don’t seem to cut it on the weekends. These precious mornings call for something a little more special; Veggie-packed Frittatas, a Monster Avocado Breakfast Sandwich, or this Delicious French Toast recipe we’re sharing with you today.
This seasonal dish uses rhubarb, but feel free to sub in other fruits as they come into season;think Strawberries in July, or plums in August. Either way, it will be so much better using home-made jam instead of buying something at the supermarket. Plus, don’t you want to have something to brag to your friends about when they come over for brunch!? We used brioche in this recipe as it ads an extra element of sweetness (plus it’s the way the French do it!), but normal thick-sliced bread would work as well. Check out the recipe below, and let us know what you think!
Nutmeg French Toast with homemade Rhubarb compote
- 2 eggs, mixed with 2 oz milk
- 6 slices brioche or thick sliced bread
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1 oz water
- 1 stick rhubarb, sliced
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon and 2 tsp sugar to the egg and milk mixture
- Add the sliced rhubarb to a pot on a medium high heat. Add the water and 3 tsp sugar. Bring to boil and simmer for 15 minutes
- Dip each side of the brioche slices into the egg mixture.
- In a pan, add the butter and place the brioche in the pan on medium high heat. Fry for about 1 minute on each side (or until the sides get nicely browned)
- Pile up 3 slices on each plate, pour some of the rhubarb compote on top (and whipped cream if you are feeling particularly indulgent)
- Enjoy a plate of rhubarb French toast, and relish in the deliciousness!